A password will be e-mailed to you.

Three weeks before his child was born, Aaron Tucker had landed himself a stint in prison. Not the way you want to start a family. When his son was born, he got a phone call that changed his life.

“When he was born, I got a phone call from the hospital. I heard my son crying in the background, and right then and there I was like, ‘I’m changing my life.'” Tucker told Westport News.

Fast forward a year and change and Tucker took on a different role upon being released from prison — a role of a hero. Just one week after being released, Tucker got up early, caught the bus and was headed to a job interview at a restaurant — his first chance at employment since leaving jail.

On the way to the interview, Tucker, dressed in the only button shirt he had, witnessed a serious accident. The vehicle has hit a tree and flipped over, causing the bus driver to slam on the brakes. That’s when Tucker’s instincts kicked in.

“Are you going to help?” he shouted to the bus driver.

“No, but if you get out I’m going to leave,” the driver replied, saying he had to stick to his route.

Without hesitation, Tucker jumped from the bus and ran over to the scene. “The guy had a lot of blood coming from his head,” Tucker told CBS News.

He unbuckled the man’s seatbelt and gently dragged him from the vehicle, which caught fire moments after. Bystanders nearby managed to get a fire extinguisher and put out the flames quickly.

“You’re going to be all right,” Tucker repeated to the man “Your family wants to see you. Keep your eyes open.” Tucker then took off his shirt and used it as a bandage for the man’s head until firefighters and EMTs arrived.

For Tucker, it was the only thing to do. “I just wanted to make sure he was all right, and that’s what I did.”

Tucker, although a hero, missed his job interview. For him, that’s not what was on his mind, though. “I feel like a job can come and go, but a life is a one-time thing,” Tucker said. “The job just wasn’t in my mind at that time.”

Community members were so touched by what Tucker did that they started a GoFundMe page, which raised more than $16,000 in a single day and is currently up to $53,000.

Alongside the generous donations were those from locals, including a business owner who donated a custom tailored suit to Tucker so he can look great for his next interview.

Tucker said he’s had many job offers come in since the accident, so the suit will be handy. His main focus moving forward will be to get a job and take care of his family.